Job opportunity at Wakulima Tea Company Ltd April, 2022
Position title: HEALTH, SAFETY, ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL OFFICER- (1 Post)
The HSE and Social Officer reports to the Operations Director and is responsible for the environmental and social management of the company by establishing and implementing policies, systems and processes that help the company manage and continuously improve its E&S performance.
This includes but is not limited to issues concerning environment, health and safety and community liaison.
To oversee close-out of non-compliances to HSE and Social policy standards within the company and amongst the company’s supplier base, including its smallholder suppliers
- Implementation and continual improvement of the Environmental & Social Management System (ESMS).
- Implementing and managing the company’s ESMS objectives, targets, procedures and programmes as required.
- Monitoring E&S performance.
- Timely resolution of E&S issues if required.
- Demonstrating commitment to the continual improvement of system performance as an example to others.
- Ensure that significant environmental and social risks are identified, correctly managed and communicated to all affected personnel.
- Understanding the legal requirements pertaining to the company and ensuring legal requirements are incorporated into procedures and management plans.
- Ensuring that all supplies, contractors and service provider working with the company are aware of all ESMS procedure.
- Ensuring that all supplies, contractors and service provider working with the company are aware of the relevant E&S legal obligations and other requirements the company is required to comply with for all activities and operations conducted.
- Assisting the HODs with the implementation of ESMS programmes and procedures required to meet E&S objectives and targets:
- Ensuring that all relevant E&S registers, records and other documentation are kept up to date;
- Undertake E&S audits and inspections and report findings to the operations director.
- Manage E&S corrective actions to ensure they are closed out appropriately;
- Measure and monitor E&S performance as required and submit monthly E&S data to the operations Director:
- Ensuring E&S incidents and complaints are suitably addressed:
- Identifying applicable E&S training requirements for all staff and ensuring that training is undertaken:
- To implement a Stakeholder Engagement Plan and Grievance Management mechanism:
- To proactively maintain regular contact with affected communities:
- To be present during formal consultation meetings with Regulatory Bodies, Regional Government and local communities if required: and
- To liaise with the operations Director on any activity or change that will impact key stakeholders.
Key skills and attributes required
- Graduate with at least 3 years’ experience working in a related position.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the Tanzanian environmental and social legal framework.
- Knowledge of the IFC Performance Standards is a strong plus.
- Effective verbal and written communicator and ability to make clear management reports.
- Excellent English and Swahili (both written and oral)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word.
- Diligent, organised and proactive.
- Personable and with good people skills.
APPLICATION AND DEADLINE.
Application including a covering letter, curriculum vitae, relevant testimonials, phone and email contact details, and two references should be sent to:-
[email protected] or
Wakulima Tea Company Ltd,
The closing date for applications is 14 April 2022 and only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.