Regional Business Manager Job at Sun King
Sun King solar lanterns and home systems by Greenlight Planet enables underserved communities to achieve more with inclusive distribution.Regional Business Manager Job at Sun King
Location: Across the country
The team you would join:
Our PAYG-enabled products allow consumers to pay for their Sun King products over a period of 4-18 months. The inbuilt PAYG technology enables customers to pay for a few days’ or weeks’ worth of energy at a time, and it monitors how far they have progressed towards the completion of their payment plan.
The Regional Business Manager will manage sales, collections and entire business operations in the region they are assigned to for the direct distribution of Sun King Solar products sold on a Pay-As-You-Go basis (also called and recognised as the “EasyBuy” Business unit). This is done through an extensive network of agents called “Energy Officers” who visit door-to-door and sell. EasyBuy technology and services allow customers to purchase units by paying for their Solar products in small instalments, thus ensuring they are highly affordable for off-grid or rural customers. The Regional Business Manager is ultimately accountable for generating sales, ensuring collections are timely and accurate and keeping the entire direct distribution network growing rapidly in a sustainable manner, with the help of his team that typically consists of Area Business Managers, Sun King Store Executives, Customer Loyalty Executive and Energy Officers of the region.
What you would be expected to do:
- Hire, retain and motivate the entire regional team for the best performance: Regional Business Manager’s team typically consists of Area Business Managers, Sun King Executives, Regional Mentor, Customer Loyalty Executives and Energy Officers (there may be some variations based on the region). Regional Business Managers are expected to ensure they create a world-class winning team in their regions who are disciplined, process-oriented and devoted to delivering the best customer experience.
- Training: Provide training to the Area Business Managers on several aspects of the business such as sales, collections, product, technical, inventory and logistics. Ensure they are fully aligned and managed professionally, demonstrating integrity, ethics, and professionalism while dealing with Sun King customers.
- Field visits: Have a weekly touchpoint with every Area Business manager and Top 10 Energy Officers in each area – either through in-person meetings, making a joint sale or having a call. Every week, resolve all possible issues faced by the Energy Officers and report them to your Regional Business Manager. Ensure that the first ten sales of each Area Business Manager are done along with the Regional Business Manager in the area and some Energy Officers to ensure that each Area Business Manager fully knows the core sales and collection process.
- Conduct Joint Fieldwork with Area Business Managers: Conduct joint fieldwork with a group of Energy Officers to provide sales and collection training weekly and drive Field Service Executives’ engagement. This includes doing night activations, market activations, visiting local communities and gatherings such as SACCOs, Self Help groups, retail centres and markets to make group sales.
- Exceed your sales & collections targets: Meet or exceed sales and collection targets established and consented upon on the 2nd of every month with your sales supervisors. Provide daily updates on sales, Energy Officer recruitments, Customer issues and resolutions, and New Area Launch preparations as expected and aligned with your Manager.
- Drive robust field sales processes: Review sales and collection progress with your Area Business Managers daily and provide adequate training to drive better collections in your areas. This includes customer and area profiling, ensuring regular and timely collection follow-ups, resolving customer issues to ensure they make payments and ultimately repossessing the systems as a last recourse if the customer defaults.
- Resolve customer issues: Provide world-class assistance to your customers regarding product delivery, training on how to use and make payments, installation, and after-sales warranty issues. Ensure that you work with your Energy Officers to establish clear expectations and processes to resolve all customer issues within 24 hours.
- Control Marketing & Other spending: Provide adequate marketing assistance & equipment (such as smartphones) necessary to all your Areas. Ensure we get maximum return on investment for all the costs we incur in marketing, supply chain, store maintenance and smartphone issuance.
- Review meetings with Areas: Ensure that Area Business Managers conduct periodic table meetings and reviews with all Energy Officers under their purview. Conduct surprise visits to field meetings and areas to ensure that the sales processes and standards observed are of the highest quality. Recognise outstanding performers from time to time and ensure the motivation of the entire regional team is maintained at an all-time high.
- Grow Retail presence: Ensure the retail network in your Area grows with the help of an Area Retail Coordinator hired under each Area Business Manager. Ensure all retail-related activities are followed per process and the base of high-selling retailers grows exponentially within your area of operation.
You might be a strong candidate if you:
- Hold a Degree or Diploma in any educational background.
- Have at least four years of field sales experience in the same region. Preferably having worked in Micro-
- Finance, Banking or Telecom field sales role.
- Are passionate about working with rural, off-grid consumers and resolving their issues.
- Possess Entrepreneurial Spirit, can work with minimal supervision and figure things out with innovative thinking, problem-solving skills, and presence of mind.
- Are process-oriented and work style, can work without supervision and manage the area.
- Good communication skills, ability to build and manage large Field Sales Executives teams.
- Can clearly and straight to the point communicate fluently in both written and spoken English and Kiswahili
What we offer (in addition to compensation and statutory benefits):
- An opportunity to grow as a professional in a dynamic, fast-growing, high-impact industry;
- The chance to work in an open-minded, collaborative culture surrounded by enthusiastic Greenlighters who are driven by the challenge of continuously innovating and growing an innovative, sustainable business with a profound impact on the world;
- A truly multicultural experience: you will have the chance to work with and learn from people from different geographies, nationalities, and backgrounds.
- Structured, tailored learning and development programs help you become a better leader, manager, and professional through the Greenlight Academy.
About Sun King
Sun King designs, distributes, and finances the purchase of solar powered home energy solutions for the world’s 1.3 billion under-electrified consumers. We are market leaders in the distributed off-grid solar industry, and our Sun King™ products have enabled 90 million people around the world to access clean, reliable, solar-powered light and energy at home.
Sun King products range from portable solar lamps to more robust multi-light solar home systems, to solar-powered televisions and fans and energy-efficient inverter bulbs. Our products drastically improve the quality of life for those that lack reliable electricity access: they help extend the number of productive, income-generating hours in a day; they enable children to study after dark; they allow families and communities to gather safely to socialize after sunset; and when replacing field-based sources of light like kerosene lamps, they reduce exposure to indoor air pollution.
We reach our customers through two distinct business models: a vast network of more than 300 distribution partners across 40 countries, and through our EasyBuy™ Direct sales channel, where we sell directly to consumers in India, Kenya, Myanmar, Nigeria, Tanzania, Uganda, Mozambique, Togo, and Zambia through a network of more than 15,000 commission sales agents. Our customers have the option to purchase these products upfront or to pay for them through an installment payment plan over a period of 4-18 months through our Sun King EasyBuy™ line, our technology-enabled ‘pay-as-you-go’ (PAYG) systems.
Sun King employs more than 2,000 people in 11 countries across sub-Saharan Africa and Asia. We are passionate about serving off-grid customers, and we are driven by the challenge of continuously innovating and growing a smart, sustainable business with a profound impact on the world.
Sun Kung is committed to gender equality in the workplace. Women represent 47% of Greenlight’s workforce.
More than 14 million households and businesses in 40 countries trust Sun KingTM for light, life and study.
The deadline for submitting the application is March 31 2023.